As cooler weather approaches, now is the time to perform routine fall maintenance so that your rental property is as prepared for the change in seasons as you are. It’s also a prime time to attend to those maintenance issues that you have left on the back burner during the busy summer months. Here are a few maintenance reminders and tips for property owners on how to finish up their “To Do” lists. Of course, you can always rely on our Greenwich property management services to help you tackle all of these tasks.
Take it Outside: Evaluate the Exterior of Your Property
Before the winter hits, you will want to ensure that your property will be protected from the elements and critters that may want to seek shelter. Guard against water leaks that can freeze and damage your exterior by patching up the small holes or cracks on the outside of the property. Take a really close look because they aren’t always easy to find. Don’t forget that anything you leave open could also invite critters, especially ones that can squeeze through small spaces. You can discourage nesting by making permanent repairs or covering open areas with either a steel mesh or aluminum flashing, depending on the animal you are barring. If you’re concerned that critters have already made a home on your property, it’s best to call a professional pest control provider and have them evaluate the area in question. If you need help finding a trusted professional, you can always ask one of our Greenwich property management team members for recommendations.
Fertilization, pruning, and other lawn care services (such as sprinkler line maintenance) help keep up the curb appeal of your home. Trim any low hanging tree branches that touch any part of your rental. Cover the air conditioning unit and winterize your irrigation system. Finally, don’t forget to cover spigots.
After securing the perimeter, it’s time to check the condition of the roof. Make sure that all shingles are fastened properly. Doing so will deter moisture collection during a storm and ensures that shingles don’t fall off. Clear any debris from your rain gutters to protect them from getting clogged and eventually breaking. Once all this is done, it’s time to step inside.
The Great Indoors: Securing the Interior of Your Rental
To increase energy efficiency, check all doors and windows for air leaks. Apply weather stripping or caulk to any drafty areas to protect your heating system and keep your tenant’s energy bills down. To avoid expensive repairs, have your HVAC system serviced at least once per year; it will help extend the lifespan of your unit. Ensure the filters are changed regularly by the tenant. You should also bleed air from radiators and check the basement humidity levels.
Ensure that the smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are working properly. If your property has a fireplace with a chimney, have it swept out to prevent fire hazards. Providing a fireplace in clean working order is one way to ensure your tenants can be safe and comfortable all winter long. This is also a good time to check the attic for adequate insulation to prevent ice damming on the roof. Lastly, check that locks leading to the exterior are still secure.
Although this fall maintenance list may seem daunting, our Greenwich property management services are here to help alleviate that burden with more than 25 years of expertise at your disposal. Being proactive about performing regular seasonal maintenance not only helps you maintain your property’s value but it proves to your tenants that you care about your investment and their well-being.
Share the Load: Tenant Maintenance Responsibilities
As a property owner, you have an obligation to keep the property well-maintained, but your tenants are also responsible for doing so as well. Here are a few items that tenants are responsible for:
- Identify and address any safety hazards
- Check electrical sockets in use to ensure they are not warm to the touch
- Inspect fire extinguishers to make sure they are properly charged
- Check all alarms throughout the home and install fresh batteries
- Review household safety and emergency plans, locate gas and water shut off valves
- Clean vents and change furnace filters on a monthly basis or as needed
- Vacuum under all appliances and remove build up on fans
- Ensure all doors and windows are shut tightly
- Clean all drains and traps to ensure proper drainage
- Tidy up outside by storing hoses and similar seasonal items properly
Why Choose Our Greenwich Property Management Services?
As a premiere Greenwich Property Management company, we work with tenants to get your investment property ready for any season. Owners and investors throughout Southern Connecticut—and nationwide—trust Real Property Management to maintain their residential rental properties. With an established infrastructure and over 25 years of industry experience, we have helped thousands of investors avoid costly mistakes.
Real Property Management is committed to providing unsurpassed customer service to you and your tenants. We have the knowledge and know-how to oversee everything aspect of property management. We offer all of our clients the following services:
- Routine Property Inspections — Regular property evaluations ensure that tenants are in compliance with the lease terms while proactively identify maintenance needs to preserve the property.
- Cost-Effective, Reliable Maintenance — Our preferred vendor program offers special discount offers on equipment and services to our clients. Our 24/7 maintenance staff can handle tenant emergencies and ensure maintenance requests are dealt with in a timely and cost-efficient manner.
- Online Reporting — With easy access to property activity report using our online account portal, owners can check-in on their property anytime.
- Full-Service Leasing — Our leasing system provides rent-ready guidance materials, an up-to-date rental market analysis, professional lease showings, property inspections, and tenant education at lease signing.
- Thorough Tenant Screening and Selection — We conduct criminal, credit, and employment checks on every applicant over age 18.
- Timely Rent Collection — Our firm but fair collections process allows us to collect and process payments in a timely manner.
- Strict and Compliant Evictions — Our highly-trained staff know how to execute all state and local landlord and tenant laws in professional manner and take the necessary legal steps to minimize costs and get the property leased again.
- Comprehensive Marketing & Advertising — Our comprehensive marketing strategies allow us to aggressively advertise client properties and fill vacancies quickly.
By working with us, you can benefit from our Greenwich property management services and avoid the hassle of managing your rental investment alone. Call Real Property Management Southern Connecticut today!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.